Friday, April 28, 2006

Why I Started Blogging, What I’ve Learned About Blogging Since I Started Blogging, Why I Continue to Blog, and Why I Hope You Will Start a Blog, Too

I got an e-mail from an old friend yesterday that read, in part: “I was thinking about your suggestion that I start a blog. Now, explain to me the reason? Do people actually read the things -- is it strictly vanity?” When I first read that e-mail, I was taken aback by the vanity theory, but after further reflection I realized that not so very long ago, I might have espoused such a theory myself. Coming out of my head, the theory might have sounded like this: “Why in the world do some people feel so compelled to tell the world what they think? Why do they think the world needs to hear what they have to say?” My own blogging story has radically altered my thinking about this question and by way of answer to old friend’s question, I’m going to tell that story (and send a link to this post in my return e-mail). But to cut to the chase a bit, let me say that I don’t blog for “the world;” I blog for a small group of people that includes my immediate family, my extended family (none of whom live nearby), and a few close friends, some of whom live nearby and some of whom don’t. And in theory at least, it’s a quid pro quo thing. I am interested in hearing what these people are thinking and doing, I know that some of them are interested in what I am thinking and doing, and so I offer a glimpse of the latter, in hopes of getting a glimpse of the former in return.

But there’s more to it than that, and I think the best way to explain how and why I think of blogging the way I do, is to tell my blog story. It goes like this: when Emilio was born, lots of people in my extended family expressed interest in seeing photos of him. Taking a roll of photos, developing them, selecting which ones to reprint, reprinting them, and then mailing them around the world was one way of responding to that interest. Because I now own a digital camera, though, I thought it might be less time-consuming to put the photos on an Emilio website, so I bought such a website. I had difficulty getting it to do what I wanted it to do, though, and as I was plotting a strategy for bending it to my will, I came across the Blogger service run by Google. I decided to try it out to see how easy it would be to make a single blog posting and discovered that it was stunningly simple.


Now, I could have stopped there and used the blog strictly as an Emilio-photo-distribution service. But as some of you well know, my default interactive mode with the world is listening, not talking, and the idea of sending reports and photos out into a vast, unresponsive webworld did not appeal to me in the least. So I thought: if I make Emilio-reporting only one part of my blogwork, maybe I can induce some other people who don’t have newborns to join me in the blogosphere. Lisa and Brian were the first people who came to mind. The three of us talk on the phone all the time, and I am always interested in hearing about the movies or TV shows they’ve enjoyed (and hated) or their thoughts about recent sporting events and basically anything going on in their lives. There are lots of other people whose thoughts I am interested in hearing about, but I suspected I would stand a better chance of getting my sister and brother to go in on this with me than I would of having anybody else. So before giving them my blog address, I asked them to go to www.blogger.com to set up a blogsite for themselves, and to my delight, they both willingly did. Not long afterwards, María José and Melissa joined us. Then my friend Jack came in. And so did my friend Gene. And in almost no time, I found that my blogworld was thick with interesting stories, comments and observations, partially provided by these folks, but also healthily supplemented by other friends (Julie, Jennifer), especially Ruth, who did not start up her own blog, but who commented on everybody else’s so often and at such length, that she might as well have. It was, in short, the Golden Age of Blog.

Now, we are in the Middle Ages. Ruth has had back surgery and can’t use her computer. Gene has gone to Mexico and doesn’t have access to the internet. Jack and María José and Melissa and Lisa are still blogging (and commenting), but not as frequently as they once did. And Brian and I both have seen our flames flicker from time to time. I have tried to recruit other people to join us in the blogworld, and Emilio’s grandmothers have recently become more active presences. But there have also been plenty of times when my posts have received no comments at all and I’ve found myself wondering if I have, in fact, ended up sending out reports and photos out a vast, unresponsive webworld, as I originally feared. At such times, I have sometimes thought: When the world has time for 10% of you, is it better to give them 8% or 15%? I know that sometimes people read my blog and don’t leave a comment because either a) they can’t think of something to say; or b) they don’t want to be bothered by the technology (I guess you have to register to respond?). I understand that. As I said earlier, my default mode is listening, not talking. And I don’t like having my name registered on the Internet anymore than I have to. Maybe, too, some readers think I am writing for another audience and don’t think it’s their input that I’m after. But let me assure you: in a vast, unresponsive webworld, all comments are welcome. And in my experience, the more comments I get, the more I like it. And even if you don’t think you are my target audience, I would still like to know who is in my audience.

I have also come to realize, however, that I will keep putting out the Emilio Report even if I don’t get another comment because, as Ruth has shown me, they'll make a nice scrapbook which Emilio may appreciate some day. I am also going to keep on plugging along with my movie reviews and sports commentary, for the moment at least, partly because I have found it to be addictive (the movie reviews, anyway), partly because I like being able to go back to see what I thought about something after I’ve forgotten what I thought about it, and partly because I’ve found that writing about things, and anticipating writing about them, enriches the way I experience them. Now, I could just write for myself and leave the blogworld out of it, but I’ve also found that an audience is a motivator (even when my audience isn’t always as responsive as I’d like it to be).

14 comments:

rnr said...

Steve, that was a wonderful and what I think is a short explanation of you "Why I started Blogging..." Please don't get discouraged. It is a catalist to me and I love it. If I don't care to read part of your Blog, I don't read it. I don't go into a library and check out all the books, I don't go into a super market and buy all the food, I don't go to college and take all the courses. Life is a great gift and adventure and you seem to be able to jump right into it and dive, drive, look, question, discover and have adventures. You have discovered that you are not always going to find what you want, all that you would like to see, feel, say or impose on others, but by G.., you are fearless, interesting, smart, questioning, diverse, challenging, and sometimes maddening, but by my rear end, you are the catalist of this wonderful Blog site and in my opionion, you write it the way you want to and I want you to know that you are a very important part of my life and that I love you. I don't have to agree with everything you say or do, nor you have to agree with everything I say or do, and would you believe it, I have fallen into a hole you were commenting about, writing too much.

Welp, guess I'm just another loser who does a lot to try to hide it or to deny it but in the end, when the shovels of dirt and life fall on me for the last time, I want to think that I tried, that I searched, that I researched, that I had many experiences, that I laughed, and most importantly, helped others when we laughted together, cried together, starved together, feasted together and walked the last path together.

Keep up the good work my friend and I will try to keep my long diatribes on my "Geno the loco Gringo."

lfjackal said...

I pretty much check your blog every day.

I don't comment because creativity ebbs and flows with me.

Right now...I'm a little ebbish.

ervierto said...

I have been confronted with this same kind of question a couple of times before also. As I have thought of it, it is do we blog for ourselves or for others? If we are blogging for ourselves, public journaling, perhaps, then maybe it doesn't matter what we say or how we say it or if anyone reads it. But, if we are blogging for others it does become important to get feedback, and pay attention to the other stuff as well. Personally, I am not a fan of journaling, so I try to refrain from such activity, especially in a public forum. I have just resisted an overwhelming urge to delete all of that. I should finish this soon before I am attacked by it again.

I appreciate your post here. I am glad that others have tackled and are tackling this question. I will continue to endeavor to provide at least blips on the radar screen of the anonymous silent world of blog. Urge to delete ... getting stronger ...

Anonymous said...

I also try to check your blog every day. I wondered why the March madness stayed as number one for a whole month! The times I don't read it are when I am literally drowning in work. Now that TAKS is over maybe that won't be so often. I love to read what you write. Keep on.

Anonymous said...

Well, Steve, if I could figure out how to "comment" on your Blog space for Emilio, I'd use it. I love your Emilio Blog and feel as tho' I'm really a part of his life with your splendid blog for our Boy! Please keep up the good work. I'm glad that his second round of immunizations are behind him. Sounds like they don't slow him down too much.

Please give that Boy a Big Texas Hug from his doting G-Mom

and love to his Mama and Dad!

Anonymous said...

One of the issues you did not address (and do not have to I suppose) is speaking the truth in a forum where everyone can hear (and hold you accountable). Suppose I blogged in my customary casual blue and green and reddish way, and my impressionable students or school board logged on. Do I want them to have access to The Truth? Hmmm DAD

ervierto said...

Although I can't imagine that you could be held accountable for what you do on a blog unless you encourage people to go there, or put assignments or something like that on it. There is also the ability to maintain anonymity as akid might if she had not put her own picture on her site, and as lfjackal does.

rnr said...

This is as far as I'm going to get today - I haven't even gotten to see Emilio's blog. I should put on a protest hat that says, "Don't Stop The Blogs!!!"

rnr said...

I have never, ever been a journaler, although I have tried my whole life...

lisa said...

i am glad you invited me to blog. i have tried to capture on my own blog what blogging is about for me. It's been a journey, for sure. I've struggled with my own bitterness on not having baby pictures to post, my own boredom with my life, my busy-ness at not having time to write, my paranoia about what public is consuming what i write, my reluctance to share certain parts of my SELF uncensored, censorship, etc. However, I have found that there is something enriching for me about blogging. I have never journalled because I am not comfortable with the voice I reserve for only my consumption. I much prefer the voice I use when communicating with the world. The audience is key for me. Even if they don't respond, it helps me to find a voice and a topic and a focus.

Anonymous said...

From Steve's description, it sounds to me like blogging is a way to create community. In the good, old days (mythic, I know), one would go to the town square or sit down in the family's dining room, and share thoughts with intimates. Since there is not a town square anymore -- or because those who share common backgrounds, beliefs, or interests are dispersed over such a wide area -- a blog makes sense. It sounds like the new town square, the new family dining room.

I do think that I would get awfully discouraged if I put a lot of energy into a blog, but no one responded with the same energy that I used to create a blog.

On the other hand, using a blog to post information about Emilio seems awfully efficient -- I like that aspect of it.

Perhaps I will address another point about blogging that Steve made in a later post: namely that blogging has had positive benefits on his writing.

Steve said...

Thanks to all who have shared their thoughts about the issues I have addressed in this particular post:

To Geno the Loco Gringo, for all your kind words and encouragement. They are much appreciated.

To lfjackal, for the word “ebbish.” I love it.

To ervierto, for resisting the urge to delete your thoughtful reflections. Your steady radar blip is a comfort.

To Mother, for becoming such a supportive fan of the Emilio Report and steady commentator on this blog as well. Next time you find yourself literally drowning in work, I hope that you find a way to figuratively rise above it.

To Grandmom, for your continuing efforts to figure out the commenting business. I’m not sure what step in the process is holding you up, but if you let me know, I’ll help you troubleshoot.

To DAD, for entering once again into brave and unequal combat with the dark and dreaded demons of technology. I appreciate and share your concerns about the access impressionable students, school board members, and other unsympathetic folk may have to bloggage and hope you will continue to find a way to speak truthfully while taking care of number one.

To ruthier, for your enthusiastic support and generous commentary. Hope to see a Ruthblog soon.

To lisa, for your honesty and your willingness to blog back against bitterness, boredom, busy-ness, etc. I am intrigued by your observation that you prefer the voice you use for communicating with the world over the voice that you reserve for your consumption. In a first draft of these shout outs, I wrote up a longer reflection on the subject, but I’ve decided to use it as soup stock for a separate post on the main page of this motherblog.

To Hillel, thanks for the dining-room-table metaphor. It describes my experience of the blog world a lot better than the image of the town square, where the mythic strangers gather to debate the subjects of the day. I don’t think of blogging as a way to create community as much as a way to strengthen an existing community of those near and dear to me. Hopefully, you’ll be stopping over for a bite to eat more often in the future. (One other thing—though I would say and have said that blogging has had a positive effect on my thinking, I wouldn’t say it has had a positive effect on my writing. I look forward to your comments on this subject.)

Finally, to the many, many, many readers out there who have read this blog and considered crossing the commentary threshold, I say: Ask not for whom the dinner bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

Comments, anyone?

rnr said...

How interesting this post and all the comments have been. I just now read them all, and I agree with a whole lot of them. I loved Hillel's analogies, and Gene's praise (which I share), and identify a good deal with Lisa's "voice" introspection, and ervierto's confidence and reluctance issues, and, in short, it's always nice to sit down with the B family and friends, and have a nice, long conversation. This is what the blogs feel like to me. To me, it's analagous to my book group, where I have found a group of women who share my philosophies and politics and interest in reading - there's something so refreshing about a group of liberal people exchanging ideas about a shared experience such as reading the same book. I do have plans for two blogs, and believe I will get mine started before anonymous does, even though he has not professed any plans to start his own. Thanks for getting us all started on the exchange of thoughts, likes, loves, and experiences AND MOVIES!!!

Unknown said...

Hi there, Steve! I'm not in the blogging scene, but I have enjoyed your Emilio site, and I'm so glad you emailed me about your Motherblog and the Top 40 blog, which I will post in at the first opportunity!

I've never been inclined to reveal too much of my personal self online, what with me having my own business. I don't know... sometimes I get the feeling I'm being googled.

As a long-time journaler used to writing only for myself, or to a future version of myself, I find the idea of writing to the world a bit intimidating. I am uncensored in my journaling, although it occurred to me that leaving behind a pile of frank journals chronicling all my musings, moods, and misdeeds could be hurtful. (My grandmother destroyed all her diaries before her death, afraid that her readings would be misinterpreted.) I wouldn't feel comfortable revealing that much of my personal life online.

I've toyed with the idea of blogging about my interests (design, art, etc.), but really, I'd rather be absorbing the writings of others than writing my own nowadays.

Anyway, you've given me some interesting food for thought, and I appreciate the effort you go to to keep the connections up.

Happy 40th, old man-- from your old friend, Amy