"World Citizen," my un-Monopoly world exploration game, experienced its world premier on Thursday night. We got through act one before bed time and will presumably finish the drama tomorrow. The streets of Atlantic City have been replaced by the most populous cities in the world; the railways have been replaced by famous international train routes; and the Utilities by "Green Initiatives." Instead of acquiring monopolies, players acquire "Sister City Coalitions;" instead of building rent-charging houses and hotels, players build schools and Environmental, Cultural, and Social Justice Non-Profits; and instead of going to jail, players go to a "Space for Meditation." During the course of our short game, we learned about the languages that are spoken in the most populous cities in the world and paid the penalty for War (formerly "Income Tax") and Bigotry (formerly "Luxury Tax"). We also talked about what "xenophobia" means. It is my hope that at the end of the drama, we'll have multiple winners: those who developed the most popular schools and non-profits and those who had the most diverse and intense learning experiences.
There are lots of add-ons I want to develop (and am working on), but I realized that if I waited until I was done with that, my target audience might have outgrown it. I appreciate the enthusiasm they all brought to this work-in-progress.
1 comment:
What an amazing game! Thank you Steve for this wonderful gift to our family!
Post a Comment