Then I walked downtown and visited bookstores and a hat shop. Below are pictures of some of the books I thought about buying. I didn't buy any. The hats (black leather versions of the hat I wear now) were too expensive. The books are available on Amazon (but it looks like they are more expensive).
3
6
On the way back to the house, I documented the approach to la casa de los abuelos. La puerta de Toledo was built in 1827 and restored in 1995 (after I left Madrid). The Puerta was built to honor Fernando VII's return to the throne after Joseph Bonaparte abandoned it.
I wouldn't mind having a tile for the small streets in the city's center where I lived in Madrid: Carlos Arniches and Mira el Rio Alta. This is the street los abuelos live on. I bought a smaller version of one of these for Mari, and it is now above our kitchen sink. The street gets its name because it is, literally, the start of the medieval road that led to Toledo.
This is the most interesting building on the block. I don't know anything about its history. It's across the street from la casa de los abuelos.
You have to know the code to get through these gates.
The view from inside the gate.
That's the portero's station. When we arrived, Maria Rosa told us we need to use the germ gel before we come in, but if you weren't careful the germ gel's squirt stream did not behave.
The portero did not put up the Christmas tree until we arrived.
Most days I climbed the four flights of stairs instead of taking the elevator. The hard floors in the building amplify sounds, so I encouraged the kids to keep their voices down.
Signs of a family gathering.
I helped prepare the grape bowls (12 in each) ... 1
Signs of a family gathering.
The cousins arrived for lunch at 3. There was afternoon New Year's Eve game-playing, and some Lego building, followed by an early (8:30) dinner.
25
33
Emilio digs paella, and la abuela was happy to make it for him (he shared with everybody else).
The name of this game is "Dixit."
38
39
40
41
42
43
46
48
49
50
51
53After more games, Gimena took Rita and Uxue back to their house for a small party with friends (the rest of the family did not join them because we were being extra Covid-cautious).
1 comment:
What a wonder! A day without an agenda. And enjoying it thoroughly. Good for you.
Not that your agendae are not wonders themselves!
Post a Comment