Monday, June 05, 2006

A New Lewis

When I called Jack around 8 p.m. on Saturday night, Julie was having regular contractions, spaced about 15 minutes apart. At 1:45 a.m., Jack called back to say that they had checked into Northwestern-Prentice Hospital after taking a taxi downtown (apart from some pot holes along the way, the ride was smooth) and that Julie was getting an epidural. At about 7:45 a.m., Jack let us know that the doctor had sent him out to get breakfast so that he would be ready to coach Julie through the final push. And at 12:15 p.m. he called to say that a healthy, Nathaniel Weldon Lewis had been born, weighing 8 lbs., 8 oz., measuring 20.5 inches long, at 11:41 a.m.--almost the exact time that Emilio had been born 29 weeks and 3 days earlier. We were, of course, overjoyed and started to get ready to make a visit.

When Mari and Emilio and I got to the hospital at around 2:30 p.m., Julie and Jack were moving into a different room and Nathaniel had been transferred to the special care nursery, where nurses were attending to his low blood sugar (Emilio had the same problem--which is apparently common among big babies). After greeting Julie, we took Jack to lunch and then took turns scrubbing up so that we could get in to see the little fella. When I was in, the attending nurse was giving Nathaniel a bath, and when Mari went down, Jack got a chance to hold him. Although I am sure that Jack and Julie wished they could have had Nathaniel closer to them throughout the day, I suspect that they are confident that he is in safe hands and that every measure is being taken to ensure that their newest family member is as healthy as can be. I also think that knowing that Emilio dealt successfully with a similar blood sugar issue gives them some relief from worry. And this morning we got the news that his blood sugar levels have indeed increased.

We are thrilled that we got a chance to see the whole Lewis family on the big day; Jack and Julie both seem to be doing well and Julie expects to come home from the hospital on Tuesday. Please leave any notes of congratulations for the happy trio at the blogsite for the newest Lewis which Jack set up this morning!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you Steve for helping set up the blog and for the pictures.
We are glad you and Mari are close by. Mary Beth was also eager to see pictures. She thanks you too. We have only been able to get the new blog up once. We must be doing something wrong.
Joyce and Weldon

Steve said...

Thanks for the thanks! Jack and Julie have been a great help with Emilio and we are looking forward to having the opportunity to return some favors.

As for the difficulty you’ve had accessing Nathaniel’s website, I doubt that you’ve been doing anything wrong. I think all the blogspot websites have been having technical difficulties, lately. Usually, these things are like bad weather and they pass after a day or two.

Steve said...

Keep trying on Than’s site. I put the photos up at 11:20 a.m. on Thursday and as of 2:10 a.m. on Friday they’re still there. Make sure you hit the refresh button. You may have stored an older version of the website in your “cache.”

Eventually, as new posts get added to this site, the “A New Lewis” post and its “the newest Lewis” link will get pushed into the archives, but the link to “Son of the Longfaced J” will remain in place in the Links column.

I’ll tell Mari about the ESL class. Suerte!

rnr said...

He is a cutie pie too.
from Haley (in her own words and typing)
good dog