Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Ode to a Brother

Takes off from work to fly up when you're in a pinch.

Brings the love.

Solves problems.

Brings to mind the character of "Mr. Wolf," who saves Jimmie Dimmick's bacon in Pulp Fiction . (That's Harvey Keitel as Wolf and Quentin Tarrantino as Dimmick in the photo at right).

Bounces your son on his knee.

Gives him a Karl Marx t-shirt.

Plays patty-cake with him.

Gives him his bottle.

Sings to him. And then offers him his body as a deluxe sleeping pillow.

Drives the car you rent (he has insurance) and chauffeurs you around the city.


Carries boxes of books up and down the stairmaster in your hallway to the rented car three stories below. Assumes all assigned tasks. Understands and forgives your organizational manias. Talks you through the purchase of a new car seat for your son and then installs it.

Takes you to see an All-Star Soccer game and talks you through the play and the players.

Shares your tastes in food and sport. Talks you through the purchase of shelves and drawers for your closets. Buys the tools needed to install your new shelves and drawers and then installs them himself. Catches mistakes before they happen and repairs the mistakes that have already been made. Stays up until 4:30 in the morning, encouraging you to get it all done and then goes through piles of paperwork crap that you have put off sorting for months and maybe even years and sorts it. Gets up with you four hours later to get on the stairmaster again to take move more boxes into storage, leaving just enough time to get him back to the airport for his return flight.

Such is my brother.
And for that I am profoundly grateful.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he would make somebody a pretty good husband. Do you know if he's taken?

Anonymous said...

He sounds like one who would lay down his life for his brother. I know you would do the same. I love you both.

lisa said...

I've got two brothers like that. I'm the luckiest one of all.

Anonymous said...

The brotherly "love" in our home is usually defined by screaming and walls rattling (and the occasional cuddlefest). I hope that in 20 years, their relationship is as special as yours! When asked what it was like to have a sibling, my oldest replied,"Well, Mom, it's like this...he drives me crazy but I love him."

rnr said...

This seems to me the same Brother you were raised with, kind and always helpful. Bless his heart for keeping his good nature and his spirit. Of course, I realize that I may remember an idealized version of this brother sort of like best-behavior-we-have-company thing, but I don't really think so...

Maria Jose said...

I said thank you to Brian several times, but I know some day I'll have to figure out a more creative and appropriate way of thanking him for everything he has done for us.
We love you, Brian

lfjackal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lfjackal said...

Mr. Wolf has three of my favorite moments in all of movie history.

Compromise Till Death said...

Sounds like Brian and I have a lot in common. Since Ruth has been sick,I enclosed my back porch, two or three times, considering the mistakes. What a pile of junk wood. The things that are easy are the things I hate the most, like painting. Welp, my love is admonishing me as I type. she says this is not the subject, that Steve made the mistakes and Brian corrected them, that I change the subject as I please , and that painting is hard and, that I'm supposed to comment on the Post

OK, about the post. I saw a place in Mexico where they couldn't dig post holes because the ground was solid rock, so they built post holes above the rock with rocks and cement, sort of like little chimneys.

My older brother is somewhere. I believe he was supposed to be triplets but by some trick of nature he merged into one. He has six titties and five kidneys. A very quiet and pensive person who never reveals himself or them. Always a mystery to me. I hit him up the side of the head with a pistol one time and he just got mad and "cleaned my clock."

My younger brother and I are very good friends and companions but he has a temper. Last year he threatened me with a hammer and said I was the most dangerous person he knew.

OK, to the varmint Brian.

Brian hides his intelligence very well and the best thing I like about him is his adapability, and.. another, he has his own mind.For some reason I have always thought that he was a wasted talent, but that is just me I guess. To be happy is a high calling and Brian seems to be happy and content.

Anonymous said...

It's me. Late again.
I have 2 brothers. They are very different from each other, superficially. One is quiet in crowds because he is always quiet. The other is quiet in crowds because he is either thinking up the next act, talking earnestly one on one somewhere in the throng, or napping. One excells in tickling kids until they laugh and cry and so is the other. Both wrestle until something breaks or gets bloody (one leg and one nose). One reads texts and invents miracles and troubleshoots machines and the other reads texts and invents miracles and troubleshoots teens. Or is it the other way around? I've seen them both both ways. Give either a sheet of aluminum foil and ten minutes and there is no telling what will happen, but it won't be dull, unless the aluminum foil is dull side out on purpose. Both have sons who are brothers themselves. These sons mirror but do not replicate their fathers but are as fascinating to watch as puppies or kittens or clouds. My brothers are a set of cogs or plasma displays or two remote mountains or warm pillows. I love their distinctness and stand amazed by their similarities. Now they will both laugh, blush, maybe get mad, and assert their individuality. I love them. And my sister.

Anonymous said...

Blush? Yes. Laugh? No.
Well up with grateful tears?
Yes. Thanks.
El viejo