Here's some more crazy talk from Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez (for those of you who don't subscribe to TIME.)TIME: Why do you attack President George W. Bush with such jolting language?
CHAVEZ: I believe words have great weight, and I want people to know exactly what I mean. I'm not attacking President Bush; I'm simply counterattacking. Bush has been attacking the world, and not just with words--with bombs. When I say these things I believe I'm speaking for many people, because they too believe this moment is our opportunity to stopthe threat of a U.S. empire that uses the U.N. to justify its aggression against half the world. In Bush's speech to the U.N., he sounded as if he wants to be master of the world. I changed my original speech after reading his.
. . .TIME: Do your feelings about Bush reflect your feelings toward
America in general?
CHAVEZ: No. I revere America as the nation of Abraham
Lincoln, Martin Luther King and Mark Twain--who was a great anti-imperialist,
who opposed U.S. adventurism in the Spanish-American War.
The caption of the 1899 cartoon at right has John Bull (that is, England) saying, "it's really most extraordinary what training will do. Why only the other day I thought that man unable to support himself." The figures depicted as savage children are identified as Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Cuba, Philippines, and the Mariana Islands--Uncle Sam's spoils from the Spanish-American war.

4 comments:
I don't know anything at all about Chavez except what he said at the U.N. It was a hoot and I found it refreshing.
loco
My main man MT makes the list! As he should.
DA
Clint Eastwood for Pres. Chavez for V.P. Yea
loco
I too don't know much about Chavez or Venezuela. But he makes a great point about Bush's imperialism. Thanks, Steve.
Post a Comment