On Tuesday at 2 p.m., the 3-member version of my working dissertation committee met for the first time to discuss the drafts of the first three chapters of my five-chapter dissertation which I gave them about a month ago. Just having the meeting was an enormous step forward as it signifies that my dissertation advisor finally deemed these first three chapters to be worthy of committee consideration (I have been writing and revising these chapters since time immemorial). Each of the committee members had sent me their comments before the meeting, so I knew what to expect coming in (the reviews were all positive), but the meeting itself became an occasion for all present to make an official declaration that 60% of the diss is ready to go (though I want to make some revisions and amendments based on their questions and suggestions). Now that long road to the land of Three Letters and Two Periods has been reduced to this: Chapter Four (which I have done significant research on) and Chapter Five (which I’ve written significant stretches of) and the appropriate approvals thereof.
In order to dedicate my (nearly) full attention to the completion of this final struggle, I turned in a resignation letter to City Colleges of Chicago today. I expect my final workday here to be January 31st.
6 comments:
My goodness! I had refrained from asking how the progress was going, being fearful that there was NO progress, coupled with recognition that my "anger/frustration" at your mentor for not giving you the encouragement you needed to keep forging ahead was my own and did not reflect yours. I can't literally figure out what I just said, but I know you will understand. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm extremely happy for you and feel as if a load has been lifted from my own shoulders.
Wow! It has been a long time coming. I know you are excited. Congratulations! Can we get our plane tickets to Chicago for the graduation? Ha! Seriously, I mentioned to Grandmom she might be interested in coming up with us if and when. Brian's graduation last Saturday was nice. I am so proud of him, too. It is difficult to finish anything when you are your own monitor. See you soon.
woo hoo!
Sounds like you knew the defining moment of the "sweating and waiting game" and decided now was the time to take action-that when you have them on the run, don't let them stop and re-group.
rat eater loco
Very Nice! High Five!
So long suit! Hello last lap!
Post a Comment