The ceremony was broadcast on the web and you can see it now on the UIC website if you click here (scroll down to "Sunday, May 11th," and click on "Liberal Arts and Sciences"; you have to download RealPlayer if you don’t have it already.) The ceremony was two hours and twenty-five minutes long, but if you are so inclined, you can skip to these few highlights:
18:48: I walk in and take a seat on the first row. The blond woman in the black gown--the first prof to walk in-- is Patty Harkin; the tall dude in a black gown--fifth to walk in--is David Schaafsma. Both were on my dissertation committee. I am the 4th red gown in the room, two behind Dave. The gentleman at the podium is Dad's doppleganger.
19:25 I tell Dave something droll about the printed program. He will later “hood” me on behalf of Jerry. (Dave wore blue jeans under his gown and brought papers to grade during the ceremony.)
20:17 I chat up fellow graduate Glenda Jones, whom I've just met. We are two of eleven UIC grad students to receive a Ph.D. in English today (six others have graduated over the past year).
1:12:15 I am invited on to the stage to accept congratulations from assorted deans and am given a diploma cover (see photo at right). The diploma itself will be mailed to me in a few weeks. By 1:13:18, my time on the stage is gone and I have officially completed my descent of Mount Everest (also known as “How I Spent My Thirties”).
When we got back to the house (where Lisa and Melissa had been entertaining the babes), the family documentarians took the front porch shots you see here (Lisa worked the camera detail, Dad the video below). I then picked up Jack, Julie, Nathaniel, and a Sweet Occasions-produced "Congratulations, Dr. Benton" cake, which we devoured after we’d made our way through the Pizza Capri mainfare.
I had a hard time deciding whether I wanted to participate in the ceremony, but it was a lot easier to go through knowing that I have landed a tenure-track job.
4 comments:
¡Felicitaciones, querido Steve! La foto indica un doble doctorado: en retórica y composición y en FAMILIA
besos, Jaime y María rosa
Congratulations, Shel, I'm sorry I missed it.
I too am sorry I missed it. I smiled all the way through this video as well as while I read your play by play, and I will definitely go see the UIC taping.
Sincere and heartfelt congratulations to you all.
Dr. Benton, that sounds great! Love. Mother
Post a Comment