I told Autumn at Rowan Oak that several of us are hungry vegetarians (I did not refer to our group as "lactovegetarians," but, technically, could have), and she and a colleague sent us to the Ajax Diner on the Square. Once there, we ordered fried okra, mac'n'cheese (for Emilio), grilled cheese sandwiches (for Nina and Pablo), fries, rice and gravy, green beans, mashed potatoes (for Pablo), broccoli & rice casserole, and butter beans. Broccoli & Rice won. It was the first time I remember seeing butter beans on a menu. They were actually lima beans, and they did not approach the Mom standard. Mari had collard greens.
We spent a load of money at Square Books: Soldier's Pay (Faulkner's first novel), a brief biography of Faulkner, kid-bios of Elvis and--as a counterweight--Bob Dylan (see the song below). Then the kids spent some time getting close to Faulkner's bench bronze.
After leaving the square we went to the Ole Miss campus to take a photo with the James Meredith bronze. When we got to the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, we learned more about the riots that took place the night before Meredith enrolled.
No comments:
Post a Comment