Friday, May 26, 2006

To Sir, With Love

Got an e-mail this Thursday forwarded to me by Lisa, (who had received it from Mom, who sent it to one of my defunt e-mail addresses, who had received it from someone at Dad's work), requesting a list of some of Dad's favorite books, movies, music, songs, hobbies, etc., that could be put to indeterminate use at an honorary function to be held the next day in belated recognition of Dad's selection as the 2005 Mansfield Timberview High School Teacher of the Year. With nothing to go on but that, Lisa and I and later Brian collectively produced a roast-appropriate mini-chronology of the "highlights" of our father's life.

I have since learned, second-hand, that the presenters only used a couple of the notables from our chronology, and I thought this might be an appropriate venue for a display of the entire list in all its "This Is Your Life" glory. Sir got a tribute song with love from Lulu; Mr. Holland got a symphony concert performed by current and former students; Keating got a roomful of boys standing on chairs; and Dad, for all that you do, this compact, 81% accurate "Life" in 14 essential points is for you.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Dad grew up watching Howdy Doody! and it has been suggested that this played a huge role in making him the man he is today.

The highlight of his youth was meeting Jim Nabors at the swimming pool of an aunt's apartment complex in Dallas.

At R. L. Pascal High School, he dreamed of either becoming the fourth member of Peter, Paul & Mary or of replacing one of the other three.

*


His favorite head topper during his freshman year at Baylor was a beanie.

Later in college, when he suffered head trauma as a result of a life-threatening car wreck, he was temporarily unable to speak. The first words he produced upon recovery were uttered after he had been served a bowl of vanilla ice cream. They were: "I prefer chocolate."

The highlight of his early professional career was working in the same office as Dallas Cowboy punter Duane Carrell.

After his return to graduate school in the late '70s, he began collecting hobo circus clown trinkets. This has become a lifelong hobby.

His Arkansas period is most remembered for an evening of 'possum and politics he shared with US Senator Dale Bumpers.


The most recent highlight in his life was standing in line behind Emmitt Smith at a steakhouse in Wichita Falls, Texas.

*

*

*
His favorite movie is Animal House, which may have inspired his return to academia.


His favorite book is The Magic Journey, which all of his children have secretly read and enjoyed and discussed at length (but just for kicks we tell him we haven't).

*

He enjoys Flaming Hot Cheetos dipped in mashed potatoes. (Cheetos, incidentally, were introduced to the world the same year Dad was.)

At any given moment, a tune originally released in 1962 with the refrain "Alice is fond of Algernon" may be playing inside his head.

And he hates-hates-to be called "Greenhorn."


(Out of respect for Dad's imagined wishes, we decided not to include any mention whatsoever of Ann Margaret.)

12 comments:

akid said...

nice tribute. way to go, Pops!

lisa said...

lovin' it. you did a great job with the photos!!

Steve said...

Thanks, thanks. My favorites are the creamed possum and Gary Cooper as the alarmed cowboy (who, I imagine, thinks he just heard someone calling him "Greenhorn").

Anonymous said...

The photos were great. Where in the world do they serve creamed possum?

Anonymous said...

This sounds SO like the big brother who still calls me Baby after all this time. Ask him about the secret cave behind the footlocker in the middle closet and whether I can have some of his old shirts. I prefer stripes.
email me neph - i want a real address for you

Anonymous said...

What is the difference between humbling and humiliating?
Roasting and toasting?
Honor and horror?
Alas, the distinctions fail in this shadowy blogosphere tribute/rebuke.
As we say in other spheres, there's no such thing as bad publicity and no bad attention except inattention.
Thanks, well-done,and a rutabaga pie to the author and contributors (and to my hero Sen. Blutarsky).
Da

Anonymous said...

Great work on the tribute. I am now singing the Howdy Doody song. Do you know it?

rnr said...

E-gad, E-dad! I think the real tribute is that your children know you well enough to be able to put it together, love you enough to want to do it, and care about you enough to want to share it with others who also know, love, and care about you. I am proud to be one of those people. Congrats to all of you.

Steve said...

I’m not sure about the theme song, Carolyn. What pops into my head sounds like the tune to “Ta-ra-ra boom-de-ay” but with the words: “It’s Howdy Doody Time.”

Steve said...

Dear Dad,
1. What can you tell us about the secret cave behind the footlocker in the middle closet?
2. Can Mary Ann have some of your old shirts? She prefers those with stripes.

Sincerely yours,
benton.s@comcast.net

Steve said...

I believe I got the Creamed Possum image from a West Virginia website, Mom, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the image were a joke.

Steve said...

No rebuke or humiliation intended, Dad.

And I hereby renounce the "I prefer chocolate" story as mean-spirited calumny. I'm sorry it got mixed in with all these other fine anecdotes.