Father’s Day II got started with a late sleep-in for me, followed by an on-line shopping outing for gifts for Dad (result: food for thought in anticipation of a Sci-Fi course Dad hope to teach next school year--a stack of Sci-Fi books mentioned in Walter Michaels’s The Shape of the Signifier and The Shape of the Signifier itself, a book by a UIC prof that I've enjoyed reading ). After showers, we took the El to Evanston and Emilio went to sleep while I checked out the t-shirt collection at American Apparel. Emilio continued sleeping while Mari and I ate nachos, country-fried steak, Texas toast, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli, grilled chicken, steak and shrimp, followed by chocolate molten cake—the same menu we had last year—and Emilio woke up in time for the last bites of dessert. On our way back to Chicago, we picked up four carefully selected American Apparel cotton tees and spent the balance of the evening hanging out at the house--our last Sunday here (the movers come on Thursday). Before the day had ended, I called Dad to wish him a good one and Emilio gave me several kisses and hugs, some of which can be seen in the video below. It was, in short, a fine, fine day.
2 comments:
These are the days of miracles and wonders! What fun to share these moments with you guys. I can't wait to get the books.
Brian, too, was bookish, delivering Assault on Reason, Al Gore's latest, and an autobiographical account of a boy soldier's experience in African war. Olivia painted me a version of one of our favorites from the Modern Art Museum in a different color. Lisa and Melissa took me with them to the Dallas Farmer's Market where I bought purple hull peas, limas, and pinto beans (fresh ones - I had never seen any but dried or cooked), corn, new potatoes, green beans, yellow squash, tomatoes, onions, watermelon, and peaches. Then we ate brunch at Cafe Brazil on (Deep) Elm St. This video is a nice end marker of the day. Thanks.
What a teaser. It sounds like a great day for fathers. Where in the world did you get all that great sounding food? Glad you had such a good day. Love.
Post a Comment