Saturday, September 26, 2015

Happy 140th!


Mom and Dad celebrated 140 years worth of birthdays this week, and to commemorate the occasion, Nina and I joined them for Tex-Mex at El Original and, afterwards, a performance of "Fiddler in the Roof" at Casa Mañana.

The Original is a Fort Worth favorite. When I asked Dad his favorite all-time restaurants, he listed: Mi Charrito Ray in Fort Worth, El Chico on Berry Street in Fort Worth, Bill Martin's in Fort Worth, Monterrey House in Waco (I suggested this one), Gene's in Wichita Falls, and the restaurant in Austin that had a tropical bird aviary in it (neither he nor I nor my most recent internet search were able to produce its name), and the restaurant in the Dallas area where you raised a flag when you wanted to place your order.

My list would include, in additional to The Original (which Royce introduced me to), "Crystal's" in Fort Worth (RIP), Mi Charrito Ray in Fort Worth, Dos Gringos in Fort Worth (no more), Los Vaqueros in Fort Worth (last time I went there, though, I noticed the Confederate flags on the wall), every restaurant that served me steak in Argentina, The Comunista in Madrid, Mastro Piero in Madrid, Heaven on Seven in Chicago, and the Dixie Kitchen in Evanston.

I ate for the first time at Crystal's and at Mi Charrito Ray when we lived at 2112 Sixth Avenue (1975-1978).  I also saw "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "George M" at Casa Mañana in that time period.

Other musicals I've Seen at Casa Mañana: "Camelot."

Other professional productions of notable Broadway musicals I've seen: "Oklahoma!" (Tulsa), "Sarafina!" (in Madrid), "Starlight Express" (in Tulsa), "Carousel" (in London), "Sweeney Todd" (a British traveling company in Madrid), "Man of La Mancha" (Chicago), "Guys and Dolls" (in Chicago), "Urinetown: The Musical" (San Francisco), "Les Miserables" (New York).

Of these 13, I put "Fiddler" (the musical, not the production) on a tier with "Sweeney Todd," and "Urinetown: The Musical" (these were all excellent productions). This tier is just below the tier that includes "Jesus Christ Superstar," "Man of La Mancha," and "Les Miserables."

"Starlight Express" and "Sarafina!" get relegated to the least memorable tier.

Broadway musicals adapted for the screen that I've enjoyed: "The Sound of Music," "The Music Man," "Into the Woods."

Longest-running Broadway musical adapted for the screen that I did not enjoy: "The Phantom of the Opera."

Longest-running Broadways musical I have little interest in seeing: "Cats."

Longest-running Broadways musical I have not seen that I would like to see: "Wicked."

No comments: