Saturday, May 28, 2016

Summer Vacation 2016: Montana

Twelve days and eleven nights and the map above says 2,655 miles, but Google Maps didn't let me add all the stops and detours. We ended up covering more than 3,000 miles, and the best thing I can say about the trip is that if we had more money, I would love to have kept it going.

Emilio
1. Climbing Saddle Pass Trail in Badlands National Park.
2. Spiral tube slide at Hampton Inn in Spearfish, South Dakota.
3. Seeing a Hawaii license plate on the wall of the visitor center at Carhenge in Alliance, Kansas after having seen license plates for every other state (and several Canadian provinces) over the course of the trip.
Nina
1. Playing the "who said this the most on the trip" guessing game in the tent at night near Bear Lodge, Wyoming.
2. Looking at the Street Corner Presidential bronzes in Rapid City, South Dakota.
3. Eating a vegetarian Indian taco at the Crow Agency cafe across from the Little Bighorn Battlefield in Montana.
Pablo
1. Driving the Wild Life Loop in Custer State Park with the windows down in the rain, looking for buffalo.
2. Spotting Mt. Rushmore for the first time.
3. Free climbing at the Badlands at the end of the Window Trail.
Mari
1. Learning about Little Bighorn by walking the battleground and reading The Last Stand.
2. Driving down Spearfish Canyon in South Dakota.
3. Watching Buffalo gallop through Custer State Park.
Steve
1. Sleeping all together side by side in the tent.
2. Learning about Little Bighorn by walking the battleground and reading The Last Stand.
3. Getting a lot of mileage out of the Presidential learning cards I created and the road trip CDs I made.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had fun! I would have liked seeing the badlands and Mt Rushmore and tenting. I love to sleep outside! Love. Mother