Tuesday, July 05, 2011

I Am Forty-Four

 

Maria worked and the kids woke up late, which would have jeopardized their school nap, so I kept them home with me today.

When Mari came home, the gang gave me a cool book that is full of their recorded answers to questions about me. Mari also gave me American Apparel white t-shirts, and three books that were on my wish list: Bossypants by Tina Fey (the first I will read), Deaf Sentence by David Lodge (I always enjoy his work), and The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them by Elif Batuman. Add these to: The Big Book of Basketball which Brian, Lyndsae and Olivia gave me (I immediately went on a Pyramid-reading binge) along with a credit card balance designed to pay for an HD-quality DVD player; a swim shirt from Lisa and Melissa; a cake made by Freddie and a party hosted by Aunt Carolyn; generous infusions of cash from Mom (and Dad) and Grandmom; telephonic good wishes from Jaime and Maria Rosa; and a wild shopping spree at The Container Store sponsored by Dad (and Mom), and I had quite the haul. The Ruiz-Benton five topped it off with our first collective devouring a chocolate molten cake at Chili's

No comments: